Carnival Corp. Receives the Green Light for Cruises to Cuba
It's a historic time in the world of cruising.
Cuba, which was once an off-limits destination for the U.S. cruising industry, has opened its doors to the first U.S cruise line. Carnival Corporation CEO Arnold Donald and Fathom President Tara Russell, currently in Havana Cuba, announce that they have become the first U.S. cruise company in more than 50 years to be granted approval to sail to the Caribbean island. The cruise will sail via Fathom Travel (a part of Carnival Corp.). Here's what we know about this historic cruise experience:
- The 704-passenger MV Adonia will be sailing on 7-day itineraries and homeport in Miami
- The ship will stop in 3 ports: Havana, Cienfuegos and Santiago de Cuba
- Carnival Corp. has partnered with Havana Tours to offer various on-shore activities for guests
- Guests will take part in several on board and on-shore activities aimed to immerse guests in the island's culture--from interacting with locals to learning about Cuban music, art and entertainment.
- While guests do need to go through a visa and affidavit process to enter the island, Fathom is taking care of guests by providing assistance to those who book directly with them.
- Itineraries start at $1,800/person--this does not include the price of obtaining a Cuba visa, taxes, fees and other port expenses. It does, however, include all meals on the ship, onboard experiences and many on-land activities
- A $600 /person deposit is required to book a spot on all sailings, and final payment due 90 days prior to departure.
- While Cuban-Americans were initially not able to sail on this ship due to long-standing Cuban regulations, it was recently announced that any Cuban-born American can now book a spot on this cruise.
Here's a visual run-down of Adonia's itinerary:
While these cruises to Cuba are currently limited to the Fathom ship, Carnival Corp. is optimistic that other Carnival brands will follow suit soon after Adonia makes her groundbreaking inaugural sail.
Stay tuned to our blog for more details on Fathom Adonia and future cruises to Cuba.
Last Updated: 5/2/16