Cruise News: William Shatner, family cruising and National Day of Relaxation
Happy Friday! This week William Shatner announced he is hosting the first official Star Trek cruise, Tauck plans to double their family river cruising capacity in 2017 and stress levels are rising in America, according to Princess Cruises.
Actor William Shatner will host the first official ‘Star Trek’ cruise. In honor of the 50th anniversary of Star Trek, there is now a Star Trek cruise that will sail out of Port Miami on January 9, 2017 on Norwegian Cruise Line’s, Norwegian Pearl. Trekkies can expect comedy shows and concerts by Star Trek actors, intimate speaking engagements with scientists, influencers and experts as well as themed parties, games and port stops at Cozumel, Nassau and NCL’s private Bahamian island Great Stirrup Cay.
ALSO IN THE HEADLINES
- Royal Caribbean revamps their shore excursion program to meet the special interest of the individual cruisers. As part of the restricting, shore excursions have been divided into seven distinct categories of Active Adventures, Family Connections, Royal Tour Challenge, Culture and Sights, Culinary Delights, Caring Discoveries and Private Destinations.
- Crystal Cruises unveiled detailed plans for its collection of two Crystal river yacht vessels launching in March of 2017. Crystal says they are listening to what their guests and luxury traveler want and they are delivering.
- Tauck will be adding a fourth river cruise designed specifically for families to its collection of Tauck Bridges in 2017.
- German Cruise liners, AIDA and Hapag-Lloyd have announced they have cancelled port stops in the Faroe Islands. They will stop in the Harbor of Kirkvall on the Scottish Orkney islands as an alternative to the Faroe Islands port of Klaksvík.
IN CASE YOU MISSED IT
- Earlier this year, Norwegian Cruse Line’s partnership with celebrity Chef Geoffrey Zakarian quietly ended. Zakarian operated specialty restaurants Ocean Blue and The Raw Bar, on Norwegian Getaway and Norwegian Breakaway.
This is the official statement issued to us by Norwegian Cruise Line.
“After several successful years, Norwegian’s engagement with Chef Geoffrey Zakarian concluded earlier this year. Geoffrey has been a great partner and we are very appreciative of his work to create a luxury dining experience on our newest vessels. Ocean Blue restaurant on both Norwegian Breakaway and Norwegian Getaway continues to offer the outstanding culinary experience that our guests have come to love, now with an expanded menu. As a brand, we are investing heavily to evolve our onboard dining experiences to keep our menu offerings on-trend, contemporary and delicious.”
RANDOM BUT COOL
- Princess Cruises sixth annual relaxation report shows stress levels in Americans rising year after year. Over half (54 percent) of Americans spend their vacation days dealing with personal obligations instead of relaxing. According to the survey, just the idea of relaxing makes 43 percent feel guilty, that’s up from the 38 percent from last year. But 66 percent agree that taking a cruise would be the best way to experience life and relaxation all in one.
National Relaxation Day is August 15, 2015. While this might be an “unofficial” holiday, it’s certainly worth celebrating.